Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Oil and Water

A few days ago we had an oil spill (not extra virgin) right here in Centro Storico, just outside the wall actually. It was serious enough to create bonafide chaos as the police needed to block off various key arteries into and out of the city. It was incredible to see how far the ripple effect traveled, all the way down to the tangenziale that takes you to the Autostrada. I didn't have my camera with me, which is a shame because it would have made quite a picture. If I hadn't been running so tight for an English lesson, I'd have gone back out to take videos too. The action was just around the corner from my house. It could have been a fatal disaster for local drivers (and they don't need any extra help with that) but thankfully no one was hurt on the road.

And today it is l'immacolata in Italy, a national holiday celebrating the Virgin Mary's conception of Christ. That means nothing is open, except for the flood gates of heaven. No, it's not raining again. It hasn't STOPPED raining. And our little Italian terrace is starting to grow moss under the layer of rainwater that hasn't had a chance to dry with all these weeks of downpour. By Spring, we should have a nice green putting range out there. Just need to drill a hole in the tiles for the golf ball. I am sure that would drain the water too.

Flooding has been a serious problem in the region these days, so I pray it doesn't displace anyone again or create so many disaggi. But at least we know we're making history. No locals seem able to recall the last time this much rain has uninterruptedly pelted the cobblestone streets of Treviso.

3 comments:

  1. Assuming we all make it through the rains, sounds like a great way to celebrate spring ~ on your terrace putting green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey, sounds like a great idea. I don't have any equipment though, so it's BYOC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracey, BTW, I like your new handle, Ms. Chambers =)

    ReplyDelete